View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
The gears in the gearbox and transfer case look up to the job, not like the brass gears they used in the Capo. I presume the brass on the motor will be up to the task and in worst case would be a sacrificial part?

Outer casing looks very well finished and realistic. Like the transfer case brake. Just like on the Defender I used to have. (although there it was drum brake).

3 servos. Guessing one for the gearbox, one for the transferbox and one for the brake?

All in all very neat kit, nice machining/casting on the parts and looks like excellent fit too.

I guess by the time you finish this build I will be sorely tempted ...

Stephan
Yeah all the gears with the exception of the pinion are big and beefy, and also hardened steel. The pinion could be considered sacrificial, if I knew where I could get a replacement. Having a helical cut makes it pretty unique as far as pinions go.

The brakes are an interesting animal... Im not sure how usefull its going to be, but i plan on controlling it with a dial. So it can function as an adjustable drag brake on the fly. Are you talking a 1:1 landy that had a brake like this? Or a scaler?
This kit overall shows some pretty presice machining. I cant however vouche for the tapping of the screw holes. Im constantly finding ones not tapped deep enough for the specified screws, and one on the trans case wasnt tapped at all.
I would say to anyone if you dont mind having to perform numerous small tweeks and modifications, you will be more then happy with this Jeep. Im not even a jeep guy and I love it lol.