View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
Yeah all the gears with the exception of the pinion are big and beefy, and also ... more then happy with this Jeep. Im not even a jeep guy and I love it lol.
Yes, the Defender was (or is, still not sold, sitting at dealer on consignment) a 1:1 truck. Very very nice car if you like primitive, noisy, cramped and kind of unreliable ... Wouldn't have used that on the fly though, would probably rip the whole transmission to pieces. After going trough some reasonably deep water and then parked it up with the transmission brake applied, the bloody thing would rust and be a real pain to break it free.

Don't know about your Capo, but on mine I had some cross threaded screws, a couple of holes without thread and the load bed didn't fit. The holes were off with about 3/16th inch. Seems they have not improved there. Doing all those little tweaks does make building it more interesting.

Noticed there are some companies selling helical gears, so you might be lucky to find one with some searching. Or a good machinist should be able to duplicate it. If you are really going to use it in rough terrain, I would take some measurements and pictures of it.

For the brake, have you thought of putting/gluing some thin felt as pads? Might make them more controllable.

I see you as good at convincing yourself as I am ...