Thread: Sterling Dump
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sterling Dump

Okay, been a few months and not much done but might as well show you what I've got.

Finally stripped the paint off the cab and roughed in the fender extensions.

Here's the truck I'm modeling. I noticed the cab had rear windows.

So went looking for details and inspiration on Google and found this photo.

So of course I had to designed a panel in CAD and put her on the mill. Sorry to steal your idea Pip. But in my defense...I had this drawn up a couple months back before Pip posted his handy work on the Aeromax/Sterling back panel.

Glued in place....not bad. Excuse the mismatched wheels. We'll get some nice wheels on her someday. Need to finish the body work on the fenders and back panel too.

Fabricated some parts to raise the tranny up so I could move motor forward over the servos. There's a spacer to lower the servos a quarter inch as well. Fashioned a bracket to mount the cab as well.

Converted a front steering axle to a drop axle. Fashioned a yoke to straddle the frame and connect to springs with a stock shock mount. Fabricated a lever system to actuate the drop. She's pretty tough. Lifts the truck off the ground if you put a block under.

Hard to see how this works and how it all goes together in the photo.

Video of the drop axle test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWfoLWVskgs

Tacked a plastic fuel tank on to see how she's coming together. Not bad. Visor and dump body next...

Thanks for looking. Joe