View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
What's the nipple for and why is there only one?

Looking sweet! Keep it up! My wife says I can buy one but she thinks I should learn how to draw first. I have been working with my etch a sketch ever since! Just need to sell about 50 trailers now to pay for it!
Lol!! Had some geometry in the part I wanted to see how it machined with a ball endmill. The nipple has a couple features, flat top and round curved base. The others are the lines that are barely visible at other end. They are transitions on uneven planes and curves. So the part is just a paperweight and no significance other than just playing around.

Hey reg, the best thing about this is I can't draw either!! The computer can!! Only problem with that , I don't communicate with computer very well!!!! When I want to make a simple square the darn computer asks too many questions,, like, where? What plane? What shape, size? How thick ,,, alot like a first date!!! Way too much questions and not enough actions!! But eventually I'm learning to speak computeries , very similar to my chinglish voculabarly. I've traded in my usual torture tools (hammer and torch) for more appropriate computers, now I threaten it with a magnet!!! So far the hard part of this has morphed into part holding. For the track links it made sense to cut soft jaws because of so many parts to be made. On some other one off parts the challenge has become how to design and make it with having to hold and machine it in mind. From my university of YouTube degree in cnc machineing a few guys had said that designers should spend time in the machine shop to get a better understanding of what available machines the company has can do. And the process involved. Really helps knowing what you can do and can't do. Like if I don't have a 1/2" drill then I better not make any holes 1/2" while designing my part. ,,,,, but I'm also learning from a lot of knowledgable people to think outside the box,,, like no 1/2" drills, no problem, use a 1/4" mill and extrapolate out to 1/2".