View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Started on the hydraulics

Prepped the 2 main cylinders. Basically cleaned them of the hydraulic oil that had seeped out.

Added the nipples

Added some hydraulic tubing so you can see what happens if not constrained in some way.

No problem when completely extended.

Anyway had to bolt the roll on / of part to the chassis. When I tried to take it off I ran into a problem ... one of the bolts holding it in the back sheared off . A true WTF moment. Didn't figure I had tightened it that hard. When I took the bolts off on the other side, another one lost it's head . both of them were the ones at the back of the frame.

This is the part I'm talking about.

Here one of the pieces with the sheared of head. (the other bolt is temporary inserted. Is on the wrong side of the part)

Well, spend the rest of the day drilling out the rest of the screw. Stainless steel too. Took forever and broke 3 drill bits. Got both of them out, and luckily the parts are still useable.

No clue what happened. They were not cross threaded, but were jammed solid. Noticed when I removed the part that is was slightly bend where the bolts were. Should have tightened those 4 bolts evenly. Another lesson learned.

Reinstalled the roll on/off assembly on the chassis and everything goes together smoothly. So basically no harm done apart from a couple of scratches made by the drill. But you can't see those anyway.

Hopefully next session will be less stressful