View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Hi Al, you're in luck .. didn't think I would have the time today to work on the truck.

Well, spend yesterday evening a couple of house googling images of roll on/roll off kipper, abrollkipper, haak kipper and whatever language variation I came across. All this to see how other people run their hydraulic line from the pump. Not much to be found though. Found 2 who ran underneath and 2 who went up and over.

So guess what ... decided to do the whole connection to the valve block again.
I had left some of the lines too long being worried of getting them too short.

New direction pressure line

Top view

Side view

In the course of redoing the connections, I had seen that the hose from the small cylinder tucked away behind the valve box had a kink in it. I feared I would have to take the whole lot off, but succeeded in removing the nipple, and replace the hose without unbolting anything else. Just enough room to go in from the top. Getting the nipple back on after replacing the hose was a true "zen" experience.

Shoved the + and - wire of the pump in a shrink hose and ran it to the front.

Since the servo wires are way to short, decided to see if I could fit an extension wire so it would be easier to make a repair at a later date. Inserted a 6mm shrink tube in-between frame and motor and behind the rear diff servo. This would allow me to pull 2 extensions through after removing the plugs.

Couldn't get it to work in a decent way. The bowden cables from the rear diff locks and their servo are hampering anything on the chassis beam there.

So tried to go the other way ... also didn't work. The connector is just too big.

So soldered it together staggered to prevent the big clump when they are all soldered in the same place. This way don't have to worry too much about them shorting on each other either.

Still add some of the liquid rubber since I have it anyway.

Wires from servos fixed and valve box ready to be closed.

Sorted (also retouched the paint a bit)

All electrics are now in front, so next is my least favourite part of this build: the electronics and wiring, although I can still do the fenders first

Almost forgot, I have put the side under run protections in such a safe place I can't remember where I put them.

Cheers, Stephan