View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM

TylerDSAudi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to figure out motors and gear reductions

I do agree that it would definitely be the correct way to do it, but like I said there would be a lot of reworking the model. From what I've been researching and comparing online most of his specs on this shovel are 1:1 as that's how intended to build it, I'm not sure why he went with such a small drum though. It will just be something I'll have to live with though.

This thread was more or less for me starting on building/buying the parts I need to get my dragline to build going again. I'm going to start looking for electronics to drive the spools and build the spools.

My plan with the spools would go something like this: Get aluminum stock the size I figure out will be the diameter of my spool. I don't think i have the skill on my lathe to taper it, but I will be able to put the grooves on it. A rod will go through end to end and brazed into place. I will make a mount to hold the spool on out of wood, which will also be my motor mount. For my gear ratio, I think I'm going to pick the right RPM motor that is close to the speed I need, then with a gear mounted to the rod, the motor gear will contact it from there driving the spool. I'll have to figure out how those 2 gears will affect my rpm on the motor that I start with.

My plan is to use smaller metal wire rope I found for my build and set up a grid on the floor and pull it in and time it to figure out what I'm looking at for speed and do the calculations for RPM.

** On a side note Modelman I was looking over your shovel build and its very impressive. We had 4 190 B Electric rope shovels at our mine I would run, they were quite old machines but they paid for themselves time after time for how long they had them for haha Your servo wire latch bar release gave me some ideas for my shovel I will private message you with some questions.

Last edited by TylerDSAudi; 03-07-2019 at 07:39 PM.