View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Jigglepin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder Cat Excavator Threaded Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18 View Post
Hey JP thanks for the reply! great write up! i have seen almost every servo/drill bit setup on the internet (even in german and french forums) and that one finally painted the picture for me(mainly because i am slow) ok now even more i want to see someone if not me use a yoke to mount the bit to the servo so servo can be mounted stationary. i dont want my servos to move.

also JP if you have any info on your threaded rod attempt i would be interested in seeing what went wrong and what went good. i want to see if geared motors with threaded rod would reduce "slop"(i think thats the term). i seen in your video when changing directions the servo is going for a moment and bit is not moving. also, i want more power/speed. thanks again for response and any info u might have
Hi,

Thanks alot! the play is just to do with no weight on it (especially the bucket tip mechanism, at the specific time I took the vid). When the strain is taken off, the rod will move slightly on the drill bit ( unless you use bigger grub screws to fill the gully in the drill bit, but somtimes it can lock up easily) but I wouldn't say it affects the overall function. When I was an absolute beginner and didn't have a clue about hydraulics and screw drives or even R/C for that matter! , I thought a threaded rod might have worked on a servo, after figuring out how to convert them to 360.

The main problem was trying to connect the rod somehow to the servo! once I figured out a temporary way to do it using tie wraps or similar, lol! I found that the servo took a life time to even turn the rod a few inches (unfortunately I dont have any vids/pics of my attempts). Thats when I went on the hunt and found out about using drill bits.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? surely trying to use a motor you would need room to gear it down etc, would you attach the rod to the servo/motor and a nut to the piece you're trying to move?

Happy building!