View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

Had to start with the dashboard modifications to figure out how many resistors I need on the front resistor board. Added some switches and backlighting for the reverse cam display and instrument panel. Green LEDs for turn signals.

Final design for the front resistor board.

Started working on the floodlights for the telescopic light mast. A lot of guesstimation based on photos to get the dimensions and angles right, but I feel it's pretty close. Mostly 1mm styrene. 5730 neutral white LED soldered to metal strips in the hope that they will move some of the heat to the outside.

Of course one broke when bending the metal strips

I swear I tested them all before filling them with CA glue! Only tested at low power though. Turns out that when tested at full power for more than a minute one of them started blinking. Most likely damage from soldering. Always fun to carve out fully cured glue.

I was hoping to run them at 60mA each, but I'll stick below 40 as I'm a bit concerned about heat buildup and don't feel like replacing any more LEDs in them for the next decade. I think they're bright enough anyway.