Thread: Ram Build
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 04:49 PM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ram Build

Time to get the motor mounted in this thing. I'm using a stock WPL plastic transfer case because I just want to see how it holds up... never know until you try. I have a 180 case slotcar motor in it it's an old Ninco NC2 motor they had a lot of torque...If the plastic doesn't hold up I have a metal unit with a 370 motor to put in it...
I didn't want to cut into the interior so went with the smaller 180 and it fit better than I thought I cut the hole for it then reinforced it with some .60 plastic sheet.

I'm using a combination of aluminum and plastic along with JB weld and a body panel epoxy again just to see how well they hold up.
Here is the transfer case,the one on the right is stock and the one on the left I shaved down so it sits tight against the bottom of the chassis.

I looks good screwed in place.

So because the wheel base is longer than a WPL I made some drive shafts.
These are stock steel WPL pieces, I cut part of the keyed section off and used JB weld to glue it in one end then glued the rest in the other end. I trimmed the tail down about a 1/8 of an inch so if I need to pin it I can and it won't bottom out this little truck doesn't have or need a whole lot of drive line travel

The shaft is simply aluminum tubing that fits snug on the drive shaft with a little sanding...

Once I get everything worked out I shoot a quick coat of satin black paint on the the whole chassis.

I decided this needs to be a dump bed... cause I want to see if I can make it work and still look stock plus I'll need a pintal hook on it cause it needs to pull a trailer too...

Last edited by jerry56; 04-24-2021 at 04:53 PM.