View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Many Posts. . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
The PRIMARY function of a forum is communication/information trading/sharing of a common interest.

Peddling merchandise is what ebay is for, ...but if long time members want to trade goods amongst themselves, great!

I don't like those guys that appear out of nowhere to dump their trash to an established audience FREE OF ANY CHARGES and split, offering no other value to the forums.

These forums cost money to operate, the more popular they are -> the more expensive they are... why should a new comer/outsider capitalized freely?

As a member posts, how they post shows their character so others can judge for themselves whether or not they'd like to do personal business with them. The longer a member has been around, the greater amount of trust they've built within the community -> the greater effort they offer to nuture/protect that identity.

Scammers are in it for the short term! ...make a couple of good trades & then rip off a bunch & disappear... then come back a short period later to do it again!

For most ppl, common sense would protect them from being a victim, for the minority we need Rules that govern everybody the same.

If your only purpose for being a member is to feed off the free info, to shop for good deals in the bst and do nothing else to contribute to the community, then who gives a shyt about your opinion!

If you're here to learn & share openly your own experiences of the hobby, the post count/duration of membership necessary for particular forum privilidges will be a minor inconvience that will quickly pass.
I am all the way with you guys on this one !
A lot of forums get abused with this buying / selling and trading stuff .
I really don’t care how high the post-count has to be for being able to sell in the BST section , but this section needs to be watched closely by the moderators !
No matter what post-count you guys decide on ,
What I would do , if possible , apply this post-count rule only for the ones wanting to sell in there , but leave the section open “ as read only “ for the ones with the lower post-counts . And for the ones able to sell , I still would even apply a member seniority with it too . Means you have to be on this forum at least for a few months , so people should know you . That may also would help with this post-count bumping up stuff ,
people just posting a few words in 20 threads on a daily base .
On which we get on this subject about how many characters per post .
I hate typing , but still , what the heck of a problem would it be to have a minimum character-count from at least 30 characters or more ?
Some of you probably think now :
“what’s wrong with this dude ? he has his own website and stuff to sell listed on there “
Exactly ! I do have my won website and pay my fee’s to upkeep that !
Means I do know what it cost to run a website or a forum !
If somebody thinks he has enough products or items to sell on a regular base ,
He should open up his own online-shop to sell these items .
If this buying / selling / trading stuff is gone be made to easy on this forum ,
It will just end up like in a lot of other forums , a heck of a mess and all the good info’s get lost .
There could be also a fee for being able to sell in the BST section , like CorbetTrailers mentioned , ( to finance this forum ) , if you sell on ebay , you have to pay fee’s , if you use PayPal you have to pay fee’s and so on ….
There will be a vendor-deal here sooner or later , means you can sign up as a vendor , but it will be a fee for that .
We all should work on to keep this forum here as a nice community for exchanging ideas and showing of our projects and at the same time start to know each other.

Open easy free market will destroy all of this in no time !
I can sing a song about that shyt !
I am running my own website since around 2000 , got in to the wheeling and dealing with hobby-parts a few years later , acted as a dealer for a few small outfits ,
helped a few buddies to get there own hobby-business going ,
I was the first US-dealer for Carson ……
and now I am taking a brake from all of this ,
since there was just to much B.S. involved with it !

So anybody jumping on here just for the selling reason , think again !

I better stop here now before I get carried away with this …..

Last edited by Tamiya Cowboy; 08-30-2010 at 10:16 PM.