View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What??! A Belt drive??

Great minds think alike, Fred. I was looking at doing the same exact thing. In fact, I just ordered my parts today, for such a set-up, and I have a double shafted Tamiya semi axle sitting right next to the computer as I type this. I wasn't sure if I should go with a belt or a chain drive, and in the end, I settled for a chain drive. Reason being, I figured it would be a more positive drive, with no chance of the belt slipping under a heavy load. I also figured a chain would allow me to run the tension a little looser, thus taking some of the strain off the Tamiya semi truck axle's input shaft and bearings/bushings. I figure the belt drive will be quieter though. I found miniature XL (extra light) cogged timing belts and pullies all over McMaster-Carr. I was hoping to be the first to pull this off, but you are smarter them me, and probably thought of it before I did. Tractor conversions are all new to me.

Nice work! I think another nice advantage to this set-up is that you can change the sprockets, a few teeth more or less, to change the gearing.