View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 AM

rustybucket is on a distinguished road
Talking Cable excavators of the 1940's and 50's

[IMG][/IMG]

Hello,
Another refugee from ‘Garden Trucking’ would like to squeeze in to this splendid engineering forum. It’s good to see that in spite of the efforts of career politicians we still have some very skilled people around. Some of the stuff makes me really jealous. If the RC diggers, trucks and bulldozers had been around fifty years ago I might never have wanted to grow up ! Life would have been a permanent playtime.

My own particular interest is in cable excavators and the last five years have been spent building an 1/8 scale excavator influenced by a Marion -111-M /Lima 1201. It started out as Marion but then I got really interested in the machinery layout of the Lima -1201 which although not as simple is a very clever arrangement of the gearing. Fortunately I hung on to my collection of catalogues from which I gained layout information but it is mostly scratch built developing dimensions as I go along and making the odd detail drawing when necessary. The revolving frame is made up of two twin sets of ‘castings’ which are machined out of solid to house the turntable rollers and mounting lugs for hook roller bogies. These are then mounted between side frame plates which at the front make up one of the boom feet each side. As you can see it’s quite a lump. The crawler frames are approximately 26 inches in length and 18 inches wide, turntable gear diameter 12.5 inches. Overall Length of the revolving frame with the tail end section will be around 36 inches but has yet to be determined by back end design and power unit requirements. I would guess the weight is in the region of 230 lbs as it stands but will increase quite a bit even with two sets of track pads. I’ll let you know when I get around to putting it on the scales.

Head on view from front showing boom feet , front hook roller bogie mounting bracket and front turntable roller pins

Another view from the front also showing some internal construction detail of the truck frame

Machining underside of frame stretcher

View of front hook roller and machined swing ring gear

unfinished drumshaft with winding drum clutches

front drumshast showing main transmission gear

clutch housing showing cooling louvres

trial mesh of large gear and left hand clutch housing gear assemblies

Front view with detail of crawler drive tumblers

Almost complete. Final machining to be done after test assembled to mating components

Front sub component assembly after machining deck

Showing back of roller mounting carriage with aperture for inner end of roller shaft bearing block and block
before it is fitted into place for maching in situ. Location for bolting carriage to front main component can
also be seen. These holes are later recessed for roller clearance. When machining is completed the bearing
apertures also allow access to tighten the countersunk securing screws.

Both bearing blocks inserted and roller mounting shafts in place

This view of the back shows the front frame stretcher anchor bolted in place. This secures the bearing blocks
althogh they are a snug fit anyway

Tumbler ready to remove flange and turn over

Flange removed and ready for machining other side

First machining position on reverse side of drive tumbler

Part machned tumbler mounted ready for removing surplus webs of metal btween driving lugs
Position of one set of four quartering holes can be seen in this view

Machining in progress

Cleaned out slots

First stage of relieving driving lug flanks tilting milling angle to 25 degrees. Comparison before
and after relieving can be easily compared.

Relieving of driving lugs completed on one side and ready for turning over

Tumbler flanks been relieved and driving lug is ready to have quartering location removed.

Driving lug finish machined.

Completed driving tumbler.

PLEASE NOTE ALL MACHINING HAS BEEN DONE WITHOUT THE AID OF A SAFETY NET, PARACHUTE OR KNEEPADS: !

Last edited by rustybucket; 10-20-2012 at 11:33 AM.