View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 09:23 AM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WHO'S THE NEW GUY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Welcome to the site.... You will like it here

Regarding diff set up...The easy way to lock the diff is to put the 3 sun gears all in a row so they can't turn. It locks the axel solid. I leave the front open and rear rear locked for better traction yet it will still turn.

Frame rails are fairly easy, eBay and guys on here sell blanks...

Suspension you have some options from simulated air ride to heavy spring. In my opinion springs will give you much better off road traction due to they have more articulation...
This is good!! I appreciate this info.
So, in my case, I intend to run a tandem steer, tandem drive axles. All axles will be driven. You are suggesting to just lock the rear/rear? In scale this unit will be about 34 inches long with about 30" from trunnions to trunnions. How will this thing behave with all drive axles locked? Will it turn properly? Or is it just gonna load up and have adverse effects?

Also, in real life, this truck would be able to carry loads in access of 100,000 lbs on the bed without the use of a trailer. It would have a. Rigid walking beam suspension to handle these weights. Is or has there been anyone with walking beams? How would the heavy spring suspensions that are available work with say 20-25 lbs put on them?