View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clubhouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliwilli View Post
Intresting to read you call us Badass.

There are a lot of permanent courses in Germany and Austria, but most of them are outdoor. So riding in the summer and only when it is dry.

If you see indoor pictures of large courses with sand, buildings and everything around it, it's most of the time a 2 or 3 day event that's held once a year.

Especially in Germany, they have a habbit of building huge courses with several truckloads of sand or soil. Even large watertanks are build with EPDM foils.

Isn't it an idea to organise such an event instead of building a fixed course?

To give you an idea, here are some pictures of the last Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=lCPeKCBn

This was a 4 day event, and afterwords everything was cleaned up.
Usually organised in large event centers, there are also traders and lots of other scales and modelbuilding disciplines, so it's only logical that an course is large, it attracks lots of people that also pay entry fees to get in.

For an example of fixed courses, check these sites for inspiration:

Moosbeuren, South Germany
http://indoor-parcours-sueddeutschla.../vom-parcours/

Glashaus, in an old glas wharehouse
http://www.rc-glashaus.de/lkw-1.html

Modellstadt Bremerhaven
http://www.modellstadt-bremerhaven.d...odellstadt.php

I have never been to one of these fixed courses, the events I visit are usually truckshows or fancy fairs where one of the Dutch clubs is hired to give a demo. I placed several photoshoots of these events and placed them in the international section.

They use mobile courses, most of the time made from hardboard, square pieces of 1x1 meter or 1,2x1,2 meter, painted with roads on them. They lay them out in a predetermined setup, and have some foldable/detachable buildings to place on.

I personally think this is the second best to a fixed course, with the advance of flexibility to lay them out where ever you want.

The distances are a lot bigger fot you guys, and I am amazed by the fact that you want to drive for up to 10 hours just for a little bit of fun.

Perhaps a mobile course is the way to go.

And if you plan the dimensions and roads on drawings, everybody can make seperatly from each other a few road sections.

This all just to give you some ideas.

Good luck with the decisions.
Yeah the Moosbeuren location is my favorite I've seen and what would be my inspiration for what I'd want from a permanent facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
The best or cheapest way to have an indoor layout is know of a local hobby shop that a has a indoor racetrack or crawl area that would accommodate trucks or earthmovers, or by attending a already established show such as Indy without real dirt or The Cabin Fever Expo that I have started where the sky's the limit there with space and accommodations and move all the materials in and out like Trilliwilli has posted.
No offense to any show at all. I have had a blast at Indy and Brookeville. It's just not the same for me. Working in dirt/sand/rocks is a completely different experience. Being able to actually build the roads and work the ground is more involved. Building towards a goal that isn't just torn down at the end of a weekend is a more fun idea to me.

Everyone is going to have a different idea and Spudd is right, no location is going to be perfect for everyone. Give & take is the name of the game here. To be completely honest, without a location like this, I don't think there's an affordable way to do this with the limited number of members that would participate in this. The whole reason I started this thread was to discuss if it's even a remote reality of making this happen. I for one am super-excited this glimmer of possiblity has presented itself.

To move further, maybe we should set a date up there and have a meeting? Or just wait for Indy when most of us are together.

You got any photos of the spot Spudd?