View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 06:05 PM

JonBailey is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Question about front bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy View Post
You dont need a sleeper for a MFU.. I have 3 day cabs all with MUF's in them.
I have decided I want to have a cab with a scale interior, driver figure and companion dog figure seated in the cab.

This is the main reason why my mind is now geared toward a semi tractor with a realistic-looking sleeper unit as opposed to a day-cab mixer truck.

The sleeper space would conceal my electronics while still offering me a realistic cab interior possibility.

The MFCU is the hardware that will give me those cool revving diesel engine sounds, hissing air brakes, starter sound cranking over and a loud horn to honk.

With a cement truck/day cab, there is a space limitation I have discovered.
Cosset had just informed me of that recently. This upset my original mixer plans.

I would have to decide between a realistic cab interior or realistic truck sounds if I had decided to go with the concrete hauler.

Trade-offs.

A sleeper cab bobtail truck let's me virtually have scale-realism everything. I now understand why sleepless cabs are so common and often necessary in garden trucking.

An RC model airplane writer once said, 'We can scale our models down but not wind velocity."

RC boats and ships can be scaled down, but not the size and action of the waves on the non-scale body of water.

We garden truckers can scale our bodies, chassis, wheels, axles and cabs way down from the full-size OTR trucks of the real world but we can't scale down the internal guts that make real-world diesel-fueled trucks run and emit certain sounds nor can we scale down the potholes and loose gravel on full-scale asphalt streets.

In a real diesel truck, the engine is under the hood and thus makes the diesel engine sound. It does not need a giant MFCU to make its diesel sound. Its horns are mounted on the roof and compressed air from the engine compartment blows them.

Yes, the prospect of building a high-dollar-value scale truck demands prudent project management planning technique.

I need to get to know as much as I can about this craft before any serious cash is shelled out so as to make informed and practical decisions.

A Tamiya tractor now makes the most sense to me.

The mixer idea might otherwise turn out to be an expensive boondoggle.

Last edited by JonBailey; 02-12-2016 at 06:22 PM.