View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Thanks guys.

I have a few more photos to share. In order to build a chassis to fit the Kenworth cab, I needed to run a narrow chassis up front, but standard width in the rear, so that all the Wedico components would fit like a stock truck. I was not going to narrow any rear axles, or build custom ones, so my solution was to make a chassis member that would allow me to transition the chassis from narrow, back to standard width. Here are the photos of the frame member -

One solid billet frame member, to connect the frame rails. I am sure it will be plenty strong, so even if the frame rails aren't continuous, I know it won't fail.

Like my Peterbilt project truck, I decided to go with a planetary gear box, mounted under the cab. Space is even tighter with the Kenworth, so this will be a big help. I also like the simplicity of having a strong single speed transmission. I machined the frame connector to accept a 16:1 planetary gear box. A 20:1 is identical in dimensions, so if need be, I can switch to one.

Assembled, my front cross member, and the frame connector, serve as a good place to mount the steering servo.

These photos are before I machined the frame member 100%. The cut outs for the motor and wires haven't been machined yet, but in these photos, I was mostly checking the fit of the frame rails, as well as the fit of the servo.

The drag link, from the servo to the steering knuckle will be nice and direct.