View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM

Jw. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/14 CAT 390D LME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madda View Post
I really hope you get a decent solution for home metal casting because I believe that many of us would then try it too and that would make builds even more awesome!

But why I really posted was that I read on a local 3D printing site that they offer making molds. Maybe you can find a solution from there?

Just wanted to help, maybe you already know that option.

Keep it up!
It would be awesome if I get this figured out because I would like to share it with everyone. I've been looking at all you guys build all these great builds for a while now and when ever someone comes down to making home made tracks. It easily drives anyone nuts with all the machining, drilling and tapping. I was going to do all of them with my mill but after making just one I was done. You know what I mean. Time for casting.

Yes I've been looking into 3D printers for a while. I hope to get one of my own someday. If you had one of those you could design anything and easily cast the parts in sand. You wouldn't even need a mill or a lathe 3D printers just print plastic so it would be good to make a master that's it. Low production parts could be sand cast and high production could be plaster cast.

I should be good with molds though as I am now able to cast a part in plaster with zero cracks and zero bubbles. It just needs to be fired in my kiln, add a sprue and vent hole.

Thanks
Jeff