Thread: Lowboy Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lowboy Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierreBussio View Post
I love these builds. I like the drop neck gooseneck trailer. Where can I buy one of these?
PMD sells one but its pricey. mine is scratch built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjr woodie460 View Post
Nicely done . I am close to the start of building my first lowboy . Been busy with work and home life just haven't had the time
Thank you! I hear the busy part! I get spurts where I get 3 nights to work on them then a month of nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
That's a good looking rig/project you got there.
I'm working on the lowboy myself and I got a little wondering going.......The fifth wheel is so far back on your truck, My truck will not steer at all when it got full load (15LBS), so I flipped it around an got more weight on the front wheels. How is your rig steering ?
Thanks
Bo
Thank you!
It steers ok I may slide it up a notch or two as it is pretty far back. but I have a lot of weight up front to help it out. the front bumper is solid, tanks, rack, breathers, MFU, battery and I have a ounce of lead up front. front end is lowered 2/10" and rear suspension has stiffer springs. even with my fully loaded dump trailer I can usually steer just fine. BUT I have very little ground clearance up front on the truck with no load. my Blue dump I need to lift the front still as full of weight and being so close to the front axle I have NO wheel well clearance and the fronts bind up when I turn or it just pushes straight in dirt. eventually it'll get a driven front axle to help put with the pushing. but running a day cab, cab over full loaded with weight 2" behind the axle the front gets most of it. may just try different front setup, air bag with stiff springs