View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How much should I spend...?

Being young without a good job is tough. Back when I was a kid growing up, I was always short on money too. I know how it goes. I felt like I had to scratch for every last dollar, and I couldn't work a job because being around on the family farm was my job. Any money I made went for college, but now that college is over with, I can afford most things without to much worry.

My advice is don't try to do much at once. Start with something simple, like a bulldozer. I think an excavator would put you over budget really quick! Even a skid steer would be expensive.

For a dozer, get yourself some nice gearmotors and one servo. Because the dozer is bigger you would not need a lot of specialized miniature components, like you would a skid steer. You could run a dozer with a 3 channel radio, saving you costs there as well.

I know it's not a construction machine, but maybe a diecast tractor conversion would be worth looking into. It would be a fun model to have, but wouldn't have to be to complex. I don't know what it would cost to build one, but it might be closest to your budget.