View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ny-Lint Mobile Dragline Conversion

Making some progress on the crane. Got things aligned pretty good now, found a local supplier for stock so this morning I was able to turn a larger drum for the hoist. I think it will work fine, it is 7/8" stock and I turned the flanges fairly low so the inner diameter is still a bit more than 5/8" which gives me a drum speed that should work okay for the hoist and crowd drums. The larger diameter also helps to hold more rope making the storage of rope fit on one wrap.

I drilled out the top gear on the servos and taped them to 4-40. Then I run a machine screw from the inside of the gear so that is what you see poking out the top. Then the threaded drums screw onto the stud of the servo. This make it easy to screw the drum on or off of the servo for fitting, testing and maintenance.

Thanks go out to Scott (SmallHaul) for all the tips and help along the way!:chug:

And, I love the lathe! What fun! If you have ever thought about a small lathe and you like working on the sort of stuff that brought you to this site, I say go get a lathe.

Jim