View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT View Post
Well I’ll be dammed I can see C510 Kenny road train stamped all over that, & I didn’t even ask for it, Thanks Mate HA HA
Bloody marvellous bit of work you have there Nathan
Tim
Hi Tim. Yes, if you are looking for a rugged transmission for your C510, this would be a great option. There are quite a few different ratios avilable too. I've got a 3:1 reduction in my axles also, so I choose the 2 stage planetary with a 20:1 reduction. It runs really smooth and makes the motor a torque monster! I test ran this combo on 7.2 volts, and I couldn't even make the motor groan, no matter how little throttle I gave it, and no matter how hard I tried to grab the output shaft with my fingers. I don't think you could stall this combo out, in a truck application. On 12 volts plus, it's going to be unstoppable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Nathan you give new meaning to the word perfectionist.
Thank you Craig. Just trying to build the best truck I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Thanks for showing the new tranny system. I have one of the transfer cases' in my Studebaker. Only problem I have found with it is its tolerences. Shafts have way too much 'play' in them. Other than that they are very heavy duty like your gear reduction.
Can't wait to see your Pete completed.
tc1cat, I'm curious if by 'play' you mean shaft run-out. As in not turning true and straight? Or do you mean shaft end play, or float? I don't notice any run-out with the shafts. They look straight and true, but once I get some power going through it, and get the u-joints hooked up, then I'll really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya_trucker View Post
Wow Nathan you still working on this? lol looking good tho, i think both our projects are taking a little to long compared to other one here! That tranny combo looks bullet proof, i really like it.
Thanks Kyle! Yes, this is turning out to be a life long project, almost! I hope that my work ethic is not rubbing off on you too! You used to crank Aeromax trucks like crazy, till you started the 6x6 boom truck. But, good things are worth the wait, no doubt! If I could only stay off this forum, and avoid looking at what everyone else is building, maybe I'd stand a chance of actually getting some work done on my Wedico! And speaking of that.....

I was able to machine up a new chassis cross member. Since deciding to revamp the drivetrain of my truck, I was in need of way to mount up the new transmission. I also needed a way to mount my cab, after lowering it for the new stance. This is what I came up with.

I designed it to fit perfectly between the chassis frame rails. I still need to drill and tap some holes to secure it to the frame rails, but it's a press fit into place and I haven't yet decided it's finally resting place. I may slide it fore or aft, just as soon as I get some mounts made up for the transfer case next. Driveshaft length will determine the final position, but it will be hidden completely by the cab.

And then the transmission and motor mount to the cross member, like so...

View from the underside...

And one from the side of the chassis. Once the fuel tanks are on, it will be almost impossible to see, except if the truck is upside down.

The transfer case will find it's home just forward of the lift axle.

That's all for now guys. Let me know what you think!