Thread: My RS700L build
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My RS700L build

Thanks for the explanation, I got rid of all my older Mack manual's in 97, after buying my CL 713. My 88 RD didn't have that twin hose air cleaner, just a pre cleaner on top of the air cleaner can.
Cheer's, Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Thanks for the heads up... I did see that cab a few weeks ago. It looks nice and if I can't fab up my own I may call them.

Regarding the twin tube breather....the one tube feeds the turbo the other feeds the tip turbine for the side mount charge cooler. These twin tube breathers were fitted to the late 70s early 80s 285, 300+, and early 300/350 Mack motors with charge air cooling. mid 70s Mack's with the 285 or 300+ would have fed the charge cooler via a backwards facing hood scoop on the hood with a Coffey can style filter just under the hood. The style you see in my pic was the better model as there was less stuff to mess with when doing maintance on the engine...

Some other versions of twin tube air cleaners can still be found today in very cold and snowy parts of north America. It's used to suck warm air from under the hood and reduce clogging with heavy snow conditions.