View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 12:28 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first Tonka Conversion

The WPL stuff is a mixed bag...the electronics are junk IMHO, the frame rails are so-so but might be good for some light duty just for fun builds.
The tires are a tad wide for the Tonka builds and a tad tall (about 68mm) to me anyway..but because they are so cheap (about $5 for a set of 4) they will work for now..
the metal axle upgrades and the metal transfer case seem pretty good....the Axles are about 5 1/4 inches wide so they work good for the Tonka and I think they will look ok for my crane and with a little work my Bruder Mack Granite. but the tires will be a little small for that one I think.
But for now this is my dumptruck... I see a rebuild in the future now that I have figured out what drive motors and gearboxes work and what mini-econo gear motor works for the dump bed.. I really want to make the linear actuators work, I wanted to use N-20 motors but they just didn't have enough torque..I think part of the problem is because on the Tonkas the lift point is so far back and the actuator sits so flat it takes a lot to get it moving...If there were more room or I could figure out a way to get a better angle on it and or move the lift point forward I think they may work....we'll see.

Last edited by jerry56; 02-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.