View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanco vertical mast arrow board

Hahaha good point! We need a PortaPot, a guy with a Slow sign, several guys with coffee or cigarettes, an off-duty cop hanging out, another bunch of guys in dump trucks with impact absorbing trailers, millions of cones and barrels...
But seriously, i'm just glad there are people that do it! I wouldn't want to be out there in traffic on a road crew. People drive bad.

My friend anthony was asking more about how the wiring in this thing is actually set up. My bare wire ugliness earlier was pretty hard to follow, so here's a mock-up of the light board. Some leds poked in, and a flashlight behind it. (I'm pretty high tech, it's basically a LiteBrite.)

I went color coded here as if it were marker lights, because it makes sence to me, and the fuction is easier to see as circuits

Yellow light is your "center" channel that is powered all times by the timer circuit, if the circuit is on it's flashing.
Red is your "left" channel
Green is your "right" channel
Move RIGHT gets yellow and green lights ON, red stays off
Move LEFT gets yellow and red ON, green stays off

Wire the positive side of the yellow channel to a 2 or 3 position switch. 2 pos gives you Left/Right only. 3 pos switch gives you Left/INOP line/Right.
Then each outer leg of the switch feeds power back to either Left or Right channel. I'd suggest installing the switch so toggle points how you want arrow pointing.

All led grounds just connect together, and back to the battery, along with ground for the timer.

I'm apparently still too lazy to grab my computer, fire up paint, and make a real wire diagram of this.

Do you want the flash timing fixed around 1hz like the real ones around me are usually set, something faster, or just however the timing ends up working out? Or you could throw a pot in as a variable resistor and change the rates during use.

-
I should probably mention frizzen has no affiliation with or approval from the Wanco company. They are just *the* company you think of for arrow boards, i'm making no claim to their work or intelectual property. My project is inspired by their works because their products and others like them impress me, and their company has some kickass pdfs that really helped me get that far.

Last edited by frizzen; 03-14-2020 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Pot