View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: locked differentials

Its really your call on the 5th wheel placement. the further forward you go the more weight / traction will be up front and you get better backing ability. you however get less clearance between the frame and under side of the trailer when in the off road. I can measure mine but I run the stock 5th wheel plate and it locates over the tandems about mid way between the center of tandems and forward tandem. would say its about a scale 12" ahead of center. just like the real 1:1 trucks I can jack knife the truck/trailer going forward if I keep turning. backing is great

a scale 9" in 1/14 is .64" so anywhere from1/2" to 3/4 and you will look close to a 1:1 truck

I used a real thick grease and think I need something like tar to get it to not slip as easy. Locking the rear drive and better tires will do the truck wonders for traction

if you want even more traction for the off road remove your shocks and flip the spring mounting bolt/nut on the axles around so that the nuts dont hit the bottom of the frame. this gives you about another 1/4" of travel. just watch your inter axle drive shaft as it may start to bind on severe off roading.

stock Tamiya tires suck for any traction. I only run stock tamiya tires up front and on the trailer. My drives are RC4WD Roady tires as they look like more like a on/off road tire. there is a more aggressive tread from RC4WD but IMO it does not look as prototypical.