View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Thanks bigdogrod. Yes, I did know that. I guess I better bring this thread up to date then! I planned to go in chronological order, a little at a time, but since you found some of the details of my build, on their website, I'll show the rest here. Not all the details have been shown yet.

I stole the rear axles and suspension off the Wedico Peterbilt. I just wanted to check the ride height, and how the truck might look. The frame rails haven't been cut to length yet, so I'm still figuring out how long is to long. Oddly enough I bought these frame rail blanks for the Peterbilt too, but the Kenworth wanted them more!

It's nice to get a good visual sometimes. In the rear, you can see it's sitting a little high. I had the same problem with my Wedico Peterbilt, after lowering the front end, but I've got solution for that already. If it works on the KW, it will also work on the Peterbilt.

Since mouting the steering servo, I had to mill an opening in the cab base, so the base could sit on the chassis flat. The cab base, and cab have these mounting posts that I also milled off. They would have provided a way to attach the cab and floor together, and also to the All American Toys chassis, but for a model that will be functional, they had to go. I needed the room for electronics, and so I will have to figure out another way to mount the base to the chassis, and the cab to the base. I don't think this truck will have much an interior either. Space will dedicated to the functional bits instead. I do not think the seats will be staying for long.

To get the truck leveled, I figured I would just notch the frame rails, so I could push the suspension bolster higher up, thus leveling the truck out. Not really rocket science, but it did take some time and planning. To keep the strength in the frame, I backed the notched area out with a backer plate. It's stronger now then it was before the frame was even cut.