View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skeeters contracting services

Well, today DIDN'T go quite as planned. I went to Batteries + Bulbs today to try & get batteries. Theirs was worse then mine, as all they could source was 2/3AA 400MAH batteries. After that I ran around town & did a few more things.

As I got back home, & prepared to start in the garage, the phone rings. It was the call that sold the old ford ranger pickup truck that had been sitting for a few years. I was keeping it as a backup rig, but decided to let er go.

Flushed with cash, & having become such a large contracting services company, we needed a tax write off. We decided it was time to invest in a racecar!
McQueen was purchased from Fred Meyer about 2 months ago. It's the largest "cars" toy that I recall ever seeing made. It works out close to 1/10th scale. When I walked into the LHS, their jaws about hit the floor when I told them I WASN'T there to buy parts, (as I USUALLY am there ONLY to buy misc parts/pieces for various projects) but rather to buy a new RC car. They asked what I had in mind. I told them IDK, ANYTHING that will fit this body, as I flopped McQueen onto the countertop. After a few minutes of measuring & trying the body on a couple vehicles, I walked out with a new Traxxas Rustler.
unnamed (44) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's what's left of the stock chassis, & the packaging that it came in. Since McQueen WASN'T made as an RC, I had to gut the chassis from it. Who would have known them little screws they pt in it would be so d@m hard to get out? I was FINALLY able to remove the 3 front screws. After removing them, I carefully cut with the Dremel tool, the chassis near the remaining screw holes. I then took the same dremel tool with the same end mill bit still in it, & carefully carved off the remaining screws of that section in the body. Then I cut back to the next section, for a repeat.
unnamed (45) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

The body gutted from it's childs toy chassis
unnamed (46) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

Here's the mock up on the donor chassis, of the Traxxas Rustler.
unnamed (47) by Anthony Kalnoski, on Flickr

I've got smaller tires to place on it yet, as well as figure out how/where to secure the body to the chassis. McQueen will fit right in with his buddy Towmater sitting next to him on the shelf.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.