View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 1/25 6 Axle Lattice Crane

That's a great little machine, Dan. When I first saw the design, and how it looked like a little Bridgeport mill, I thought it was a great design! I just kind of wish Sherline had a little bit bigger version of it. Something more around the 100 - 150 pound range, and maybe two or three times the size. You can never have to much table and table travel, is what they say. That was kind of the selling point for my Sieg SX2 clone, offered by The Little Machine Shop. The only disappointment I have with the SX2 clone is that the way they throw them together in assembly, one must tear it all down and tram the head to column, and the column to the table, which isn't easy because the column is only adjustable for tilting the head. Everything else needs to be unbolted, shimmed, and rechecked, until it's good enough for the operator (me). The SX2 mills are known to have the spindle 'off' from the factory. Not perpendicular to the table, nor parallel to the column, and you really can't make good parts till it's assembled properly and gone through. That's why I envy you with your little Sherline! How easy it is to tram it all.

It never crossed my mind to mill styrene, but that's one trick I'll have to remember! How much speed do you run the cutter at, and is there any chance of it melting the styrene? I imagine it goes right through it like butter and you can feed a pretty good clip!