View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: You can stop building trucks now, Tamiya Grand Hauler.

Thankgod they dropped the price. Tell em they're dreaming for $600.
But thinking about it critically, for $450 its worth it:

The new front and rear bumper, and a few extra chrome pieces probably use about twice the plastic that a KH bumper sprue has, and at market prices, thats probably worth about $15-20 retail.

The stacks appear to be aluminium, with a plastic base. Given what we pay, and what Tamiya probably can manufacture for, i think a $20-25 price tag on those is reasonable. Not forgetting that it means they dont need the regular 'holed' shroud on the KH kit.

It has a lengthened main drive shaft, i'd say about 4" longer, which is over twice the size of the stock one. Retail i'd put a $10 tag on that.

The rails, again an extra 4" or so, but they're not really new, just cut differently. Given what we pay for a set of long rails, i'd put a $10 retail tag on the extra.

The rear fenders are the biggy. Having made some from styrene, theres a lot of plastic in a pair, plus they're new molds etc. Retail, i'd expect to see a pair of those going for around $25-30.

Thats around $80-100 worth, add in the cost of new molds, manufacturing, additional box costs, storage/freight, and all that, then maybe call it somewhere in the $90-110 range, and throw a few bucks on for just extra profit, call it $100-120..

Given King Haulers got for around $330ish, then $450 i think is a justifiable price.