Thread: Welding help
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 PM

RobotArms24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welding help

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Brazing works really good if done properly and is almost as strong as a weld but does not penetrate the metal. It takes some practice but unfortunately a propane torch or even a mapp gas torch is not hot enough except on very small pcs.. You will need something like a jewelers torch with oxygen-acetylene or oxygen-propane combination. I have a jewelers torch with oxygen-propane and it works really good. However, if you are looking for something cheap you are out of luck. There is nothing cheap about scratch building a model (materials or equipment) so sounds like you need to start saving your money. Good Luck
Oxy Acetylene braze welding can be too hot for some metals. Mind you, there are tons of different brazing alloys available. I braze weld 8-12 hours a day with a silver alloy, and I can tell you, it will cook the aluminum before melting the braze wire.

I have heard good things about durafix, it is an aluminum brazing alloy that melts at about 700 degrees Fahrenheit and can be used with propane. It also doesn't require any flux. I don't think it works for brass though.

The muggy weld stuff looks promising too, but I have no experience with it.

I would recommend staying away from oxy-acetylene if you can. Propane burns at 3000F and oxy-aceteylene is in the 5000F range. It is easy to overheat your work with oxy-acetylene.