View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Barge Unloading Facility Build

Hey everybody,

I have been thinking about the barge unloading facility for several weeks now. I'm still in the brainstorming and design phase. I'm sure most of you are aware that I already have a loading dock where I use the Menck dragline and new conveyor to load sand onto hopper barges. I will be constructing a new unloading facility on the lower pond. This new facility will be the unloading and intermediate stock pile for the sand. From this new location I plan to use rail cars to move the sand back up to the starting point where it will be reloaded and start the trip all over again. This will create a circular movement of the product.

I will list some of my thoughts and goals and requirements. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I intend to start construction in the next few days.

Clam shell bucket for grabbing and lifting the sand

Gantry crane with trolley
or possibly a standard style crawler crane

I plan to scratch the entire project, so if I go the standard crane route, I would plan it as a stationary crane with pivoting function, but no travel function. This crane could also be placed on a barge for other duty

Barge positioning using a cable/drum system tied to the barge and a motor on shore to winch the barge up/down the dock as needed during the unloading, so the gantry would not need to move up/down the dock

Unload to a stock pile or possibly directly into rail cars, conveyor may be involved at final stage for stacking or loading rail cars

Eventually could use large bins to store at least some of the product. Keeping it dry and weather proof would be nice. The way it goes now, I cover the sand or even move it into the garage to keep it dry. It does not handle well when wet. It sticks in the drag bucket and clamshell and is about twice the weight.

I like the idea of a gantry, just think it might look good. I would try to make it a lattice style and not a modern look. Same for the crane version.

Any ideas, concerns or whatever, please comment.

Jim

Last edited by Rvjimd; 06-25-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Typo