View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 05:21 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Hi Ricm, glad you like it. Once I got the frame painted we will get to the more interesting bits that might be a tad challenging for me.

Indeed you get value for the money (at least I feel so) and the customer service at ScaleArt is top too.

The screws that need shortening ... someone on the German forum brought up the following: ScaleArt has 5 different truck lines, in different lengths and number of axles. Then the MAN alone has 5 different cabs too .. so somewhere this becomes a logistic problem keeping in mind that each truck is about three- to five thousand parts (fasteners included). So they try to streamline as much as possible and you see the same bits show up in the different trucks. Now if they would have to supply the right size bolts with each frame ... would just add a tremendously amount of work to their supply chain.

Also having the 1.6M bolts this length makes is easier to get them into the holes in the frame, and breaking them off is easy enough. Having to sort out the different sizes of nuts and bolts in the more complicated assembly units is already head ache inducing.

The further along I get with this kit, the more respect I have for the guys at ScaleArt who put it all together. On top of that, seeing what some of the members here build from scratch ...