View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Got around to assemble the rear part of the roll on roll off mechanism.

Here all the bits and pieces in the approximate place of assembly.

First the main frame assembled

Then the sliding and fixed hook that hold the container in place.

Ran into a problem with the right one. The frame is milled to create a channel in which the mechanism can slide back and forth. I guess the bit used in the milling was a bit worn or damaged and the machined surface was rough. Tried to flatten it with a small flat file. It worked up to a point.

Then I realised that it was the screwheads that were getting caught in the rough area. So too the file to them and problem solved. At one point I used the dremel and accidentally filed a bit of the actual piece too. No biggie as it is not visible.

Have to pay attention here too. The bar attached to the sliding hook with those 2 screws connects to the other parts of the mechanism with a countersunk screw. So have to make sure it is installed the right side up. I succeeded in having both sides wrong.

Next the rods of the mechanism. They are 64 mm long as per the manual. They are attached to the above rod through a bushing that goes into a sleeve through the frame.

Here is one rod inserted. The second one is at this moment in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes at 180°C. One of the 4 balljoints of this package had a 3M thread. Didn't fit on the 2M thread rod. Easiest solution, some 2K End Fest glue and better than ever.

While the pushrod was cooling off, installed the axle and the wheels on which the containers will ride. Axle immobilised with cir clips ... smallest I've ever seen. Absolute nightmare to get on because I didn't have the right tool and had to use 2 needle nose pliers to open them up.

I was too fast installing the rollers ... they had to come off so I could attach the cover plate and the guide for the hydraulic line.

Finished view from top

and bottom

Cheers

Stephan