View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Stephan,

Design flaws are anything that does not fit correctly the FIRST time. Not after you modify a part or screw to get things to fit. This is something that most of us expect with a Tamiya kit due to their use of plastic parts which are known to bend during production. The needed filing of the door hinge slots is the last one you showed us. Lack of fore thought on Scalearts part to allow for paint/powdercoat thickness is a design flaw to me. Having to modify a bolt head to get a part in place is a design flaw. You have had to do this more than once if I remember correctly. You saying that most of the little things that you had to fix are not deal breakers is fine BUT you should not have to do this in a Scaleart vehicle. Scalearts attention to detail should make for a kit that goes together flawlessly. Their use of longer than necessary bolts that you need to shorten during assembly is a cost saver for them which should not be necessary for a kit of this expense. Even the most inexpensive Tamiya kit uses correct length screws and bolts. While I haven't looked at the frame rails in your latest pics, they looked like someone's test rails from 2 or 3 trucks with all of the holes in them. Hopefully, these holes have all been used by now. If not, this is a flaw for me plus it weakens the frame if not used. I know that you mentioned that these rails are used for several different trucks but give me a break. Extra holes are still unacceptable in a frame unless you remove a part from a stock frame rail.

Please remember that this in my opinion and not someone elses.

With all of this said- would I get a Scaleart vehicle--- YES!!! But probably not as a kit unless it was the only way to get it. Their attention to detail would be the reason. Have to win the lottery though to be able to purchase one