View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Volvo FH12 Flatbed

Well since no one seems interested...

I have begun the tear-down. The cab has been disassembled, and I'm working on stripping various parts using the FreddyGearDrive method. I did some minor repairing to the cab's driver-side fender, and I've cleaned up the chassis a bit.
By "cleaned up", of course I mean removed those side panels. I think it makes the Volvo look more like a work truck, and it is a key step in a frame stretch, which will hopefully happen. Here are some pics:

It'll look something like this...

I still need to trim those rear panels on the fenders, they stick out for the side-panels of the cab "spoiler" thing, but I won't be using that.

I spent all day trying to strip paint, but the newer the better, and this paint looks really old. Also the alcohol method is best for Tamiya paint, which I'm not sure what kind this is. So I tried experimenting with lacquer paint thinner...

DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER ON YOUR TRUCK!

It took off the paint as it was poured, but it also started to dissolve the plastic, and softened it to the point where I could leave (and did leave) glove-prints on the plastic. I wasn't going to use them anyway, but it's still sad to ruin things that do not have to be ruined.

Anyway, lesson learned, back to alcohol until I find a better method. I did look into oven cleaner and brake fluid, but it is just too expensive and too hazardous for me. I could sand, but I'm too lazy... Might come to that, though!

It's nice to have another project going, and I'll update you guys tomorrow on my stripping endeavors!

Thanks for looking, and not replying...