View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flat bottom half round trailer

People say that sometimes you need to go backwards in order to go forwards and that's what happened here. I ordered in a special sheet of softer aluminum to use on this and a couple of other builds because the length and sharpness of the bends are hard on my small sheet metal equipment. I was able to get the right grade of aluminum but not the desired thickness despite my efforts. Getting it was a gong show as the first sheet I ordered showed up heavily damaged and unusable other than for building cabs. The supplier ordered another sheet right away and a few days later it showed up but was also damaged slightly but usable(someone tried to use a forklift to lift a sheet off of the top and bent one side). Anyway, with the material being thinner than I wanted and soft I was not sure how it would work out. I bent up the tub for this and it was very easy to work with. Once bent I realized how easily it dents where it's flat and that it is no good for this trailer. After Xmas I bent up a new tub using regular material and I've spent a number of hours over the last few days working to get things back on track. It was tough to get it bent the same as the parts I had already made but after some swearing, sweating and struggling I got all the pieces fit and it's coming along.

Next up will be the tailgate...