View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Metal Hobi MH-245 kit as Hitachi ZX245 excavator

Decals are looking pretty nice. They are dry transfer style so there is no carrier layer left behind. The ink is directly backed with an adhesive. As good as a pad print without the need to create any tooling. Had to learn Inkscape software to make vector images. It's free. A bit different than Photoshop or CAD, but I managed to bump my way through it. May have put the model number on crooked.

Included slew motor is a 37mm OD gearbox ~150:1 with an 1806 brushless motor. It worked just fine, but was too loud for my liking. Grease helped, but not all the way since it's an 8-10 stage unit. From my reference photos it's just about the right size to be scale though. Gear mesh for the slew is not adjustable and had a little bit of free play at the bucket <4mm at full reach. Not bad, but I can't leave things alone. I used this opportunity to make an adjustable motor mount for the stock 37mm OD gearbox shown below on the left. I also made a plate for a smaller 22mm OD planetary gearbox (right). Adjustment is done blindly before final installation, so it's fumbly and takes some trial and error.

I installed a 22mm 104:1 planetary gearbox on the new adjustable mount with an oversized outrunner. I was able to tighten up the gearmesh to allow only 2mm play in the slew at full reach. I think I can get it a little tighter when I swap out the used 22mm gearbox with an improved unit. The shaft of this one has some radial play from being old and beat. The new 231:1 22mm gearbox has a much tighter shaft. I still need to turn down the tip of an appropriate sized outrunner before final assembly.