View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Pricer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crawler Track Build - American HC230

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Pricer-starting at post #16 I can see the pictures but nothing before that. I am not familiar with alumilite. I am not understanding the mold you have pictured. That is a very complex part. Can you make that model to mold from? That will not be a simple pour mold. The way that is pictured I think it will have to be some type of injection molding.
The picture I posted with the part in the "blue" mold only shows half of the two part mold, keep in mind, all of this is in theory to me, I have no experience in actually molding.

The master part to make the mold would most likely, in my case, be 3D printed. The 3D printed part would be a representation of the finished part of coarse and when the mold is ready for casting, the brass structure will be inserted in the mold on a steel shaft and spaced evenly before attempting to cast any resin.

I have watched a few video's that Alumilite has made regarding making various parts with two part molds which also included molding around threaded metal parts which were unfastened after the resin had cured leaving a threaded hole. It also showed how to cast around a hex nut which would be in bedded in the cast part. The bolt actually is sticking through the side of the mold prior to casting the part.

I have also seen a video that shows how to make several holes in the mold to let air escape when pouring a complex part. In the case of my crawler shoe, casting it around the actual pin I will use in my model, it gives me a good alignment and hole size right out of the mold ( in theory that is....lol)

I may be totally off track hear with all of this but I believe it is worth a few try's before throwing in the towel. (I have a box full of those towels too).

I also saw a video of someone who made a production mold for fishing lures and they also used an injection method. Basically what I saw was that they used a large syringe to force the resin through the mold.

Any thoughts and input concerning any of this will be greatly appreciated. I have not ordered my 3D printed tumbler yet. I am still working out my plans in CAD and 3D drawings before I spend the money.

Thanks