View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Green Horn

JensR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to change controls on Spektrum DX6i?

Hi Travis!

Two of the switches will need more space than a mini-servo and a switch.
On your criticism of being more difficult to mount: Sure, you can just "throw in" the switches, but a servo that flips a switch is not exactly difficult either.

Even if you were right on both counts, suggesting the servo solution would still be a worthwhile addition to this thread, just because of cost.

I find "my" option simpler than "yours" and so would disagree that I make it more complicated than necessary.
The only way in which I can be accused of making it more complicated is because I tried to cover all bases in one post, namely holding force needed yes/no, mixed ESCs+servos yes/no.

In summary, I am merely providing information about another option.
The OP now has two (or three) fully functioning options and can therefore make an informed decision.

The DX6 is a very nice radio - I was just illustrating the cost of your solution, especially for users of the DX5 who would not have the elegant option of installing a second receiver.

> Yes there are cheap radios and servos out there but you get what you pay for.
True. There's also the law of diminishing returns. Meaning an item twice the price will not be twice as "good". Again, it's important to be aware of the available options and make an informed decision.

> I do agree switching the out put of an ESC would be a less expensive way but now you will need a separate switch from the others and the switch has to carry the load.

That's correct. The switch you suggested would work, as it is strong enough to switch (for example) the track drive motors. Of course, the servo+switch option would be available here as well. It will depend on space&finance&preference. But again, I think it's nice to have options.

Cheers
Jens