View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 06:33 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Took me a bit to locate the spare M2s. Turned out to be M2x10, so shortened them a bit, and then ready to go for what I thought would be a simple exercise ...

Because I now use longer bolts ... the bolts holding the strengthening frame together are blocking access to the holes in the frame. No way can I get the bolts in the hole. Believe me I tried.

So couple of choice expletives, and after trying to cut them in situ - witch didn't work at all, due to no access/leverage - the solution I came up with was to get them out one by one, cut them, and with a some more colourful language, put them back in. Worked for 3 of them, the fourth one was damaged so too hard to get out. Might have a go at it later.

After some fumbling decided the easiest (or better less difficult) way would be to just insert all 4 bolts and then take it from there.

Here it is in place bolted up with loctite. The nut with the arrow pointing to it is the one that has to go on first as it is so close to the fender support you can not get the tool on it. The hole for it is actually a slot so one has some leeway moving the part a bit back and forth. A 3mm wrench is highly recommended to tighten this one.

The other side went a tad easier. Had some practice.

Then on to the front support of the rear fenders. On the left this one goes on top of the supports of the box that will hold the hydraulic valves. Also needs to take out the bolts of the centre cross beam

Here supports box and fender loosely assembled

Final assembly (another fumble job, but not too bad)

The right side was easy peasy after all this

Well that is it, had hoped to be a bit further along, but it was not to be.

Cheers!

Stephan