View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scaleart - assembling an Arocs 8x8 roll on roll off kipper

Hi Tracy, yup, lots of bits and pieces go into one of these trucks. Taking the pictures the way I do, makes me stop and think through the assembling part twice or trice before I actually start. And then I still make mistakes like putting the leafsprings on upside down ... Even with the instructions it is confusing from time to time.

I know Scaleart is expensive, but if you see the quality and fit of the parts, it's worth the money spend. (although I do wish it was cheaper)

As for tools I use ..

I got a set of Knupfer wrenches. They are laser cut and exact. Only wished they were a bit longer. Had my sister who lives in Germany send them over. Lots of interesting stuff on his site too. I guess he will ship outside Europe if asked.

This set I found on ebay, not as nicely made. These are roughly finished and not too exact but they are good to hold a nut in place when your fingers can't reach. For size/finish comparison, the 4mm Knupfer one is 4.5 cm and the 4 mm in this set is 10 cm.

And this box has come in very handy indeed. Picked this up a while ago. It's a box for smart phone / tablet repair. Brand is Huijiaqi 8921. (I've seen them online for about US$15 - 16 ) Actually good quality for the money.

The handle has a magnet in it, so it holds the nuts/screws in place, has different length options, you can use the bits without handle (handy in tight places) and the nicest feature is the bendable extension.

Then the usual array of (ball)hex drivers, philips and flat screwdrivers etc. too many to picture. I try not to go to hardware stores too much, always end up buying something or the other. The grey ones are included when you buy from Scaleart.

And for the rest, a Dremel is nice, lots of tweezers to pick up little parts, mini pliers etc etc ... And for this build, lots of little plastic containers to keep the assembly units together ...

As you can see ... I'm bored today ...

Cheers!

Stephan

Last edited by Rakthi; 05-10-2015 at 05:01 AM.