View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brand new f$cking trucks with TONS of problems

So fast forward to today....the check engine lights are still on and have remained on since day one. I just left a peterbilt class at my local peterbilt dealer Hunter Jersey Peterbit in Jackson Nj. It was a class put on and sponsered by Peterbilt, Cummins, and Paccar. So the class was titled "what is wrong with my new truck and how can we fix it". What a joke, the engineers present from peterbilt that was the chassis guru the Cummins engineer genius and the paccar engines engineer are trying to explain to a room of mechanics, owner operators and trucking fleet owners what nox is and how its a nitrogen atom with for oxygen molecules connected to it......really dude? Why did we show up to a chemistry class? Basically they told us these systems are garbage but......"were really getting better at this" exact quote from the paccar engineer. I was completely dumb founded. So after we reminded them we are in the trucking industry and not the molecular physiology field, they kinda got on track with some issues. But one of the most interesting points brought up by an owner operator of a small fleet of produce hauling trucks, we were told that the def fluid goes bad if exposed to too much heat or direct sunlight. By too much heat I mean any thing over 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. The trucker then said so when I haul a load out to the dessert in the middle of summer and its 120 degrees and I'm stuck with out a return load for five days what happens to my full tank of def fluid? He was then told "after about day 3 your fluid has separated and now is pretty much ineffective, at day 5 its completely useless." Wow the stupid things you don't think of. The truckers basically got sick of all the "please bare with us and our new emissions mandates ...were dealing with a learning curve excuse" and said that there best bet is to buy a glider kit and retro fit a pre emissions 06 or older engine in a new glider, which is still legal by the way and one of the company owners there has 11 new gliders out in the yard he had just ordered. So now after this class that was to reassure us about these issues and help us understand, I have leas faith now then before and I'm firmly sticking to my statement "ill never buy a truck with these emissions systems". And you shouldnt either...........rant finished