Thread: Tractor Tires?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tractor Tires?

Craig, back in the day, when RC rock crawling was in it's infancy, a lot of guys sucessfully narrowed up all sorts of tires. The idea was that a narrower tire gave better performance, due to a narrower track width. It might sound like a hack job, but I saw many Clodbuster tires narrowed down sucessfully, and they looked good. Of course the rims had to be narrowed as well. One could simply cut the tires with an X-acto knife and then glue them back together at the center seam. Some would re-enforce the inside of the seam with a narrow strip of rubber, like a nike tube. Rims could chucked up in a lathe, or drill press, and then accurately sectioned, with the centers removed. Just rest the knife on a solid surface and hold it against the rims, while spins, so you get a straight cut. Then glue the rims back together, and there you go. Probably the best tire we have currently available for v-treaded ag tires in the Traxxas Stampede tires, which are about 4.75" tall. They work fine as is, for wide floaters, but I could definitely see them being narrowed up for duals. They are cheap too. They can fit on just about any standard 2.2 sized rim, but I'd guess a lot of guys would prefer a custom rim to better represent the part. For dual wheels, though, there are some rather plain 2.2 rims that are dished, with no holes or spokes in them, that would look pretty good. Maybe just add a little detail. Bolts for the hubs, or wheel weights, and no one would pick up on it.