View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 90 ton 1/14 metal excavator scratch build w/embedded PC

I don't like doing non-reversible operations like gluing, painting and welding, because it's then a lot a work to make small adjustments to parts. And when doing prototyping like this, you make small changes all the time. I think I've had the machine built completely up and down around five times now..

Anyways, sometimes you need to do those types of operations anyway, either because it's the only way or I'm not able to think of any other way.. ;-)

I've glued the counterweight pieces together now. First there are three 75mm M3 threaded rods. They don't screw into anything, they are just there to align the pieces and give more strength. Then the two pieces slide together:

I think the best glue to use for a certain type of plastic is... more of that same plastic! Dissolved in acetone. This approach works very well with ABS.

For this model, I've just cut the yellow 3D-printer filament into very small pieces and put them into a glass jar. Then add acetone and let dissolve for a couple of days (depends on the size of the pieces).

I've also glued in the stainless steel M4 nuts that hold the body to the base plate with the thumb screws. One in each corner:

Just a tiny amount of glue is needed here. We just don't want the nuts to come loose when the thumb screws are not holding them in place.

Ebay link:
- Thumb screw - 10pcs M4 x 15mm