View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Building a trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender View Post
Cammo:
Thanks. I have already started to looking into the references you gave me. Garden Trucking can be very dangerous to the wallet.

Espeefan:
Thanks for the info.

From what I am understanding:
A 23 turn motor will run say 25 miles per hour and have no pulling power
A 55 turn motor will run say 15 miles per hour but have all kinds of pulling power
A 45 turn motor is a fair inbetwwen motor to have a little of each but not a lot of either.

"Basic Magnetic Experiments" in grade school? How young do you think I am? LOL That was too many years ago for me to remember. But I understand what you are saying. It is what I thought but was not sure. When it comes to electrical... It takes two batteries to make a flashlight work...sometimes, that is the ammount of elecrtical knowledge I have. Now machine shop, Fiberglass, Welding, Tin Bending, and that sort of stuff, I can hold my own but never claim to be any sort of expert.
Ha ha, Tinbender! Yes, you've got the idea. Low turn motors tend to make more hp, but to do that they spin at higher speeds, and consume more current. High turn motors make more low end torque, and aren't so power hungry. Both motors will work in a truck just fine, but you need to gear the truck to make the most of the motor's characteristics. A 23 turn will have tons of power, if there is enough gear reduction. That's why the 4:1 reducers are really popular. Kind of like comparing a diesel engine to a gas engine. I didn't think you were much past 118 years old. I'm sorry if I insulted you, my friend! But the old electro-magnet example is a really good way to describe what the motor turns are about! A low turn motor, like the 23T that comes with the Tamiya kits, is just not going to be in the powerband sweet spot, at the lower speeds we tend to drive these scale trucks, unless you gear it down. Then it'll work just fine!