View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 AM

Jw. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/14 CAT 390D LME

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey JW, have you seen myfordboys video's on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l638qR0Y6YE Hope you find them usefull!

Cheer's, Neil.
Thanks Neil. His videos were some of the first I came across when I first looked into casting. Lots of cool videos on sand casting. I'll definitely use this method for many other parts I need to make.

I did first try this way for the tracks with a 2 part flask with greensand but quickly abandoned the sand casting and never poured the one mold I made. Its just not possible to do such an undercut part easily with this method that I see. That's why I just tried a track pad but this alone is also undercut for the leading and trailing edges to mesh with each other track pad. So it didn't work out. What I want to be able to do is cast a track pad and links together without having to bolt the two together or have to machine each piece even more. Even if there is a way to do sand casting with the whole piece. I still don't think I'll do it. Its still such a long process to do just one sand mold for one piece. It would take me weeks for a set. My goal is to be able to cast a complete set of tracks in one day.

Jeff