View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driven front axle options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
This was asked of one of the axle brands, but not answered:

What about a 'throughput' front axle, like the forward unit on the dual-rear-axle semi's. Does no-one make a simple off-the-shelf unit yet, instead of us having to buy ones with metal casings at $150 and up?

I know Joe and Willy DIY'd them a while back, but isn't anyone even making a ~kit~ for those of us with minimal tools?

Only Robbe really makes one 'off-the-shelf', and I honestly don't like their axles when compared to Tamiya ones. Dislike 'em enough to ditch my 8x8 'Panther' chassis if I can do it with Tamiya parts (and they AIN'T cheap)

So, guys... is there a way for us Neanderthals?
It is not that hard. Buy a TLT axle Kit, extra pinion, and axle housings. Then just trim the two pinion halves to fit together. This has been done in a few threads here on the forum. All you will need for tooling is the normal tools to assemble an axle and a hobby knife for the mods to the axle housing.

Here is a pic of a set of TLT's used that way. He is using them as steerable rear axles but it is still exactly the same.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11