Thread: Ram Build
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Craftsman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Ram Build

Ok time for a new project, my superintendent says he's tired of using his truck to haul stuff and he wants a company truck....
So I need a pick-up that can pull a trailer, haul and dump dirt, gravel and mulch across town and on the job site... so we have a three-fer
A truck, trailer that my Delta loader and D5 fit perfectly on and the bosses daughter gets a new car...

The goal with this one is to keep it as close to the original ride height and wheel base. For this I don't want a rock crawler I want to keep it looking as street-able as I can.
I'll use WPL axles and drive train, just to try them I'm using the plastic axle housings with metal internals, and the stock plastic WPL transfer case ( I have metal parts in case these fail miserably), but I wanted to see how they hold up.

First I wanted to get the ride height set.

With the Bruder rear axle out I can see where my new axles and springs will set...

And it's way to high and well...uneven so we are going to have to do some cutting.. I've seen these where they just cut out the center and hot glue in a WPL frame and call it a day, or just screw the springs to the plastic ... I'm not going that route...
So time to cut up a brand new toy....

All the molded in features and gone on the rear....now I have a flat plane to work from.
and the front gets the same treatment

Now to figure out what I'm going to put in the gaping holes and how I'm going to do it....