View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 07:20 AM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 90 ton 1/14 metal excavator scratch build w/embedded PC

Running lines along the arm.

I need to run the power to the bucket motor and wires for the bucket and stick angle sensors along the arm. Also, I want to attach some auxiliary lines that can be used for various attachments later.

I ran totally overboard with the auxiliary lines. I've added:
- 2 x 2 x 0.75mm2 power line with XT-60 connector (one on each side)
- 2 x USB cable (one on each side)

The power lines can run about 10A each and can be used for driving motors, lights, etc.

The USB cables can be used both as USB cables and also as just normal wire that can be used for driving servos or sending back sensor data. Each USB cable has two wires that can run 2A and two signal wires that can't really run any current, but can be used for signals, like the servo position (the white wire) or sensor output.

So the USB cable doubles as a servo cable that can control two servos, just normal power lines (2A) or sensor wires. With a small adapter from USB to Futaba connectors, it will be easy to hook up servos.

Some examples of what can be attached:
- Quick coupler (using just one power line and that stops on a set current limit)
- Impact hammer (one power line)
- Drill
- Saw (garden timmer, angle grinder, etc)
- Light
- Any USB device, like a web camera, a 3D depth camera like the Kinect, a desktop rocket launcher, a 32 channel servo driver, etc, etc.

USB cables have very varying current capabilities. The cable I'm using here has very thick power lines and the thickness and stiffness also helps to give a visual appearance more similar to hydraulic lines.

The the three-wire sensor cable, two-wire power cable and the USB cable:

I've 3D-printed three different types of clamps to hold down the wires along the arm. The screws are 2.6mm x 8mm self-tapping screws.

And a terminal at the stick:

And it all attaches to the arm in this way: